Lake Titicaca: Taquile island

Taquile is about 45 km far from Puno, on the peruvian side of the Lake Titicaca.




If you go searching some information from wikipedia, you will learn that 'About 2,200 people live on the island, which is 5.5 by 1.6 km in size (maximum measurements), with an area of 5.72 km2. The highest point of the island is 4050 meters above sea level and the main village is at 3950 m. The inhabitants, known as Taquileños, are southern Quechua speakers'.

Actually, there are main ways to reach the up hill village, one for tourists with a cool but long way, and one for islanders with a short but dizzy way.
I remember the way we took when we arrived. Even if I was trained to go hiking every summer in the mountains, I must admit I felt breathless when I arrived at the top, to the village. I suffered of the height. It was my first time above 4,000 meters. Since this experience, every time I had to face a hike above 3 or 4 thousand meters, I remember to pace slowly not to get out of breath.

This is the way we took..



 Arriving to the village

 The main place of the village

the islanders are awaiting for the ceremony. During the ceremony, they talk in front of the tourists. I couldn't tell you what they told us because I don't speak Quechua. At the end of the ceremony, each islander was swapping a bit of his own coca leaves (that he were storing on him). This was not only for the ceremony. I saw other people in the streets of the village doing such a swap. Maybe a way to say hello and give respect to each other ?


 This is the arch that leads you on the second way between the seashore and the village. Only islanders are going up to the village; tourists take that way to return to the boat...






 Children of Taquile



Comments

Popular Posts